Here are 11 things you must do before changing WordPress themes:
- Back up your website. This is the most important step. Always make a backup of your website before making any changes, especially when it comes to themes. You can use a WordPress backup plugin to do this.
- Test the theme on a staging site. Once you’ve chosen a new theme, install it on a staging site first. This will allow you to test it out and make sure it works properly before you switch it over to your live site.
- Make a note of your current theme’s settings. If you’ve made any custom changes to your current theme’s settings, be sure to make a note of them before you switch themes. This will make it easier to recreate those settings on your new theme.
- Check for compatibility with your plugins. Not all WordPress themes are compatible with all plugins. Before you switch themes, make sure to check that your current plugins are compatible with the new theme.
- Migrate your data. Once you’ve decided to switch themes, you’ll need to migrate your data from your old theme to your new theme. This can be done manually or using a migration plugin.
- Test your site thoroughly. Once you’ve migrated your data, be sure to test your site thoroughly to make sure everything is working properly. This includes checking your pages, posts, menus, widgets, and other features.
- Update your Permalinks. When you switch themes, you’ll need to update your permalinks. This is because the new theme may use a different permalink structure than your old theme.
- Optimize your images. When you switch themes, it’s a good idea to optimize your images. This will help to improve your site’s speed and performance.
- Submit your site to search engines. Once you’ve switched themes, be sure to submit your site to search engines. This will help to ensure that your new theme is indexed by search engines.
- Promote your new theme. Once you’ve switched themes, be sure to promote your new theme to your visitors and subscribers. This can be done through social media, email marketing, or other channels.
- Track your results. Once you’ve switched themes, be sure to track your results. This will help you to determine whether or not the new theme is a success.
By following these steps, you can ensure that switching WordPress themes is a smooth and successful process.