WordPress shortcodes are a great way to add dynamic content to your website without having to write any custom code. Shortcodes are essentially shortcuts that allow you to insert pre-made code snippets into your posts and pages. There are thousands of shortcodes available, for everything from adding social media buttons to creating contact forms.
In this article, we will show you how to add a shortcode in WordPress. We will cover two methods:
- Using the Shortcode block
- Using the Widgets screen
Using the Shortcode block
The easiest way to add a shortcode in WordPress is to use the Shortcode block. This block is available in the Gutenberg editor, which is the default editor for WordPress 5.0 and later.
To add a shortcode using the Shortcode block, follow these steps:
- Go to the post or page where you want to add the shortcode.
- Click the + button to add a new block.
- Search for “shortcode” and select the Shortcode block.
- In the Shortcode block, enter the shortcode you want to use.
- Click Publish or Update to save your changes.
Using the Widgets screen
You can also add shortcodes in WordPress using the Widgets screen. This method is useful if you want to add a shortcode to a sidebar widget.
To add a shortcode using the Widgets screen, follow these steps:
- Go to the Appearance menu and select Widgets.
- Drag the Shortcode widget to a sidebar.
- In the Shortcode widget, enter the shortcode you want to use.
- Click Save to save your changes.
Examples of shortcodes
Here are a few examples of shortcodes that you can use in WordPress:
Error: Contact form not found.– This shortcode adds a contact form to your website.
- – This shortcode displays a gallery of images.
- [social-media-icons] – This shortcode displays social media icons.
You can find a list of all the available shortcodes in the WordPress Codex.
If you are having trouble adding a shortcode in WordPress, here are a few things to check:
- Make sure that you have entered the shortcode correctly.
- Make sure that the shortcode is enabled in your theme or plugin.
- If you are using a third-party shortcode, make sure that the plugin is installed and activated.
If you have checked all of these things and you are still having trouble, you can ask for help in the WordPress support forums.
Adding shortcodes in WordPress is a great way to add dynamic content to your website without having to write any custom code. By following the steps in this article, you can easily add shortcodes to your posts, pages, and sidebar widgets.
NEED HELP WITH YOUR WEBSITE? GET A PROFESSIONAL WEB DEVELOPER