There are a few ways to remove the “Powered by WordPress” footer links.
1. Using the Theme Customizer
This is the easiest way to remove the links. Go to Appearance > Customize in your WordPress dashboard. Then, click on Footer > Bottom Bar. You should see a checkbox labeled “Disable Footer Credits.” Check this box and then click Publish. The links will be removed from your footer.
2. Editing the theme’s footer.php file
If you’re using a custom theme, you can also remove the links by editing the theme’s footer.php file. This file is located in your WordPress installation directory at wp-content/themes/your-theme-name/footer.php. Open the file in a text editor and search for the following code:
printf( __( 'Proudly powered by %s. ', 'your-theme-name' ), 'WordPress' );
Use code with caution.
Delete this code and save the file. The links will be removed from your footer.
3. Using a plugin
There are also a number of plugins that can remove the “Powered by WordPress” footer links. One popular plugin is Remove Footer Credits. To install and activate this plugin, go to Plugins > Add New in your WordPress dashboard. Search for “Remove Footer Credits” and click Install. Once the plugin is installed, click Activate. The plugin will automatically remove the links from your footer.
Whichever method you choose, removing the “Powered by WordPress” footer links is a quick and easy way to customize your website.
Here are some additional tips for removing the links:
- If you’re using a child theme, make sure to edit the footer.php file in your child theme, not the parent theme.
- If you’re not comfortable editing code, you can use a plugin to remove the links.
- If you remove the links, make sure to update your theme’s copyright information.
- If you have any questions, you can always ask for help from a WordPress developer.